Holding the Election
Parliamentary elections in Finland follow the principles below:
- the elections are direct, secret and proportional
- the elections are general elections in which all voters have equal rights of voting
- each voter must casts his/her vote personally
- voting takes place in the presence of election authorities.
In parliamentary elections, the highest election authority in Finland is the Ministry of Justice, which has the overall responsibility for the elections.
Local election authorities are
- constituency electoral committees
- central election committees (in each municipality)
- election boards and electoral commissions
- election officials
Other election authorities are
- the Population Register Centre, local register offices
- the Ministry for Foreign Affairs