How to vote safely in the municipal elections during COVID-19
- Wear a face mask or a visor unless you have a medical exemption.
- Stay at least two metres away from others.
- Use the hand sanitiser available at the polling station.
- Follow the instructions provided by the election officials.
Verification of identity at the polling station
- Place your identity card in the location indicated by the election official.
- Use hand sanitiser.
- If the election official asks you to remove your mask, take the mask off by grasping the ear loops on both sides.
- Hold the mask by the ear loops for the duration of the verification.
- When the election official says so, put the mask back on without touching your face.
- Use hand sanitiser. Put your ID back in a safe place.
Do this if you are in quarantine or have respiratory symptoms
We have planned special measures to enable voters who are in quarantine or have respiratory symptoms to vote. The applicable measures depend on whether you are ill during the advance voting period or on election day. The measures may also vary from one municipality to another. Follow the information provided by your municipality.
During the advance voting period from 26 May to 8 June in Finland and from 2 to 5 June abroad
If you have respiratory symptoms, get tested for COVID-19 and wait for the test result before voting in advance.
If you are in self-isolation, wait until the end of the self-isolation before going to vote or vote outdoors if such a possibility is provided.
If a doctor has ordered you to remain in quarantine or isolation, do not go to an advance polling station. You may be able to vote at home under certain conditions. You must register for at-home voting by 16.00 on 1 June 2021. The other option is to wait until the quarantine or isolation is over before you go to vote.
On election day 13 June 2021
If you have respiratory symptoms or are in self-isolation on election day, follow the instructions provided at the polling station.
If a doctor has ordered you to remain in quarantine or isolation and you know you will still be in quarantine or isolation on election day, contact the election authorities of your municipality to ask about your possibilities to vote outdoors. Do not go inside the polling station.
If a doctor has ordered you to remain in quarantine or isolation, you must not leave your home to go to the polling station without permission of a physician specialised in communicable diseases.
If the local health authorities issue instructions deviating from these instructions, follow them. For more information and instructions, call the free Elections Helpline (+358 80 094 770) or the Coronavirus Helpline of your municipality.
The instructions on safe voting during COVID-19 have been drawn up by the Ministry of Justice and the Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare.
In addition, we have put together Questions and answers about election arrangements during COVID-19. (in Finnish)